Through the keyhole :: a space to be creative

For sometime I felt that working from home was troublesome.  The kitchen table constantly doubled up as a workbench and then reverted back to a dining room table every few hours, which became far too much hassle.  Earlier this year, along with my good friend Jacqui, (who is now one of my governance group members), I decided that a space to be creative was needed. For months we have been searching for that perfect spot, somewhere practical and beautiful,  and close to my local community, at a price I could afford.  I can now say that, after a long search, the perfect place has been found, and this week we, moved in. Here it is! Welcome to Cross Corners Community Arts Centre:
It is absolutely adorable, and looks just like the houses I used to draw when I was a little girl! It's perfect for running arts and craft for health and wellbeing workshops and for community group meetings. Cross Corners sits in a conservation area, and is very close to a place called Belgrave Hall , in fact the back of Cross Corners opens out into the gardens of the hall.  You may have heard of this place which managed to find it's way into the worlds media in 1999 when, what looked like, two ghostly figures were recorded on the security camera's.  Eventually a rational explanation was found but the place is still remembered for being haunted! 
Come inside and take a look around Cross Corners Community Arts Centre through the gate...

 ...and into the courtyard.  This beautiful building was, I think, once the stables.  This building is not in current use because it is a bit unsafe.  This courtyard needs a bit of a tidy.  We have a plan in place for this which involves all sorts of creative ideas.  More on this as it happens!
This is the entrance to the building.  Come on in...
 This is the reception area.  I think that fireplace is in an Adams style.  The building is very old.  It was built around 1777 and is grade II listed 
 If you turn,  after entering the building, you will see this door...
Turn right then you enter this corridor with these beautiful terracotta tiles and a staircase make of old pine wood.  This floor pattern reminds me of a patchwork quillt..
There are some beautiful shadows in this building and I particularly love it in the afternoon when the sun hits the stain glass window above the door that leads to the garden.  If you proceed down this corridor and turn right you will find the door to...
 ...the studio.  I have made a door sign out of textiles but you can't see it very well in this picture.  It is also home to the KGB headquarters another community group I have set up and am involved with along many other talented and enthusiastic people. 
And this is what is behind the door.  The studio is a shared space with two others. It is is a bit chaotic at the moment whilst we are sorting things out...
...but things are slowly coming out of boxes and our own creative space is being formed...
I feel quite privileged  to be in such a beautiful space with historical importance.  There is a little more about the history of Cross Corners in this document that talks about the house being built for a family in the hosiery trade.  I can't seem to find much more about the history of the building, but if anyone can help with this then please let me know.  I have a fascinatation for the building and its history and would love to know more about it where I will be spending many happy future hours!

Watch this space for a tour of Belgrave Hall garden's.  You never know, you may spot a ghost!

Comments